Go Back   Vegan Represent > Community > Vegan Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
VegeTexan
It's Easy

The Why of Avatar Pics

Most of us have little pictures that mean something to us as our Avatar.
It would be interesting to learn why each of us picked the pic we did to reprazent ourselves.

Some are cute, some are scary, some are as uninterpretable as sand blasted hieroglyphics. I'll start us out.

My buffalo in snow is a picture I took back in 1998. I was visiting Yellowstone National Park and doing a series of news articles about the annual bison slaughter for the newsletter of Animal Rights Online.

I am a National Park Service Ranger, and that's why the buffalo means so much to me.

Your turn.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
bluemango
meep?

Mine is a mama tiger cuddling with one of her adopted baby piglets. I love this picture because it illustrates what every vegan knows to be true: that animals feel love, loyalty, suffering, and sadness. Although this tiger is a natural predator, she will not harm the helpless little baby piglets around her.

Many omnivores argue (mostly to justify their behavior) that animals do not feel, that they only act out of instinct and survival. What survival or evolutionary benefit would this mama tiger reap in caring for babies of another species that she might otherwise eat? There isn't one. The only answer is love.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #3
Kat
VRF Nerd.

Mine's What's-Her-Face from Teen Girl Squad.
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #4
oldradical
Reprazents

Mine is simply the one I've found to date that is most satisfactory; it will likely change at some point in the future. So, it has no special significance to me. I like the colors and design of this one, and it's neat how it seems to move.
oldradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
dropscone
is wearing a watch!

Mine is a scone, continually falling, in a variety of different locales

When I first went to university I discovered IRC and other chat - IRC would only let you have usernames with a maximum of 9 letters, and dropscone was the best 9-letter username I could think of (I was Damson first of all, but a lot of people not familiar with the plum family thought I was calling myself a "damn son" and would pick fights with me).

Also, I was at university in Wales, and welshcakes are very similar to dropscones.

I know this really isn't that interesting, but the question was asked!
Tonight We Fly - The Divine Comedy
dropscone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 06:58 PM   #6
walrus
goo goo g'joob

Mine is a sleek black cat. Because, essentially, I am a sleek black cat.

I don't know what I'm talking about. It's just an avatar I found somewhere that I liked, and I'm a cat lady, etc. I've had it forever. Once upon a time my avatar was John Lennon, but I went back to the cat. It always goes back to the cats.

I like keeping the same avatar so people always recognize my posts. I don't like avatars that are constantly changing. When I read threads I usually go based on avatars, not names. So when someone changes their avatar, I'm like "Who the hecka is that?!"
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
spasticastic
ka-BOOM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropscone
Also, I was at university in Wales, and welshcakes are very similar to dropscones.
You mean there's actually a food called a dropscone?! And it's different than a standard scone? What's the name for a standard scone? A putscone, shapescone, formscone, or cutscone?

I always thought a dropscone was a scone that somebody had knocked off the table. I didn't know it was actually a food!
Old 01-15-2006, 07:00 PM   #8
MissLovely
Likes popcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat
Mine's What's-Her-Face from Teen Girl Squad.

"A giftcard for fashion"
MissLovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:09 PM   #9
jenzie
up close, far away

I'm one of those people that is always changing my avatar. Heh.

I usually pick different landscape pictures. I love both nature and photography, so there ya' have it. (Sometimes I'll use a pic of me or one of my dog, too.)
Old 01-15-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
mishka
box kitty is not amused

I'm really fond of these illustrated avatars. I have so many set up and I like to change them based on mood. I figure, if I stick with this style, I can change it up and my posts will still be obviously from me. I love that I can create a custom pixel picture that really captures what I look like. It would be great to have some sort of meaningful abstract image, but I guess I'm just too vain.

this one I am using right now is of me and one of my kitties, Tetley.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:32 PM   #11
walrus
goo goo g'joob

Oh yes, to those who change theirs frequently, I'm already used to saying "Oh that must be jenzie" or summat. No worries. I'm just weird and anal.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
gladcow
verbose

I change my avatar frequently, usually when I get sick of the one I have. Currently mine is a Bouguereau painting. I don't have any rhyme or reason to my avatars, it's just what I like at the time I change it.
gladcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
trichaos
Veganized

I must be one of the guilty parties walrus speaks of. Well, I had to change my avatar tonight because a certain football team played like **** for 3 quarters today.

Anyhow, I've used my current avatar before. Eyes are my favorite feature, blue my favorite color, and this avatar reminds me that sometimes what we do as vegans feels like only a drop, but it has ripple effects.
trichaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:38 PM   #14
walrus
goo goo g'joob

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichaos
... and this avatar reminds me that sometimes what we do as vegans feels like only a drop, but it has ripple effects.
awww .... :tear from my non-blue eyes:
Old 01-15-2006, 08:06 PM   #15
Emiloid
fluffball

Mine is the first one I had on this site (or anywhere). I had saved the picture from some llama website, and it seemed like a nice picture for an avatar because the colors are nice, and it looks good in small-scale... at least in my opinion. I've had a couple of other avatars over the years, but I put this one back up recently because I like it best. It seems most like me, somehow... probably because it was my first one. Anyway, I really like llamas, and I love the giant colorful leaf this one is holding... or eating.