Go Back   Vegan Represent > Vegan Represent > Food
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
FalafelsRule
Reprazents

Iced Tea

I have always made my tea hot. Yesterday, at a vegan potluck, there were a good 6 organic teas out, all iced. So, iced tea experts, how many tea bags do you use for 64 ounces worth? How much turbinado sugar (I like mine sweet)?

Last edited by FalafelsRule : 05-29-2005 at 07:32 PM.
FalafelsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:29 PM   #2
Artichoke47
Reprazents

I imagine it's different for everybody, FR, depending on how strong you like it.
Artichoke47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #3
FalafelsRule
Reprazents

How about in between strong and weak?
Old 05-29-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
FarmerStephen
Reprazents

I actually just posted so there would be these three new blue avatars all in a row *weird*

In answer to your question FR, I'm with Arti, it depends on preferance, and most importantly, tea variety and brand.

My fave iced tea, sweet mint, or hibiscus.......yuuuuuummmmmmm

p.s. - I hope you both retire your old avatars to Peaceful Acres
FarmerStephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
grog
Be wary of making a magician angry!

can't resist...nonsensical sequitur....

I hear this guy likes his tea cold...too cold.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
trichaos
Veganized

And also different for every flavor.. when I ice my jasmine tea, I have to use more bags than regular green tea to get my desired potency. Sometimes you just gotta experiment, mess up a few times, until you finally find the way you likes it.
trichaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
FalafelsRule
Reprazents

@ Grog.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM   #8
FalafelsRule
Reprazents

Quote:
Originally Posted by trichaos
And also different for every flavor.. when I ice my jasmine tea, I have to use more bags than regular green tea to get my desired potency. Sometimes you just gotta experiment, mess up a few times, until you finally find the way you likes it.

I don't want to mess up.

I do not have a particular flavor in mind either. I was going to pick up whatever catches my eye next time I go shopping. I am assuming 8 bags will do and 16 teaspoons of turbinado, just wanted to verify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerStephen
I hope you both retire your old avatars to Peaceful Acres

I don't even have it anymore.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:56 PM   #9
Artichoke47
Reprazents

Wild Oats was out of Asian-style green tea.

I can't give you advice, really, FR, because when I've made it, I made one cup at a time, with two tea bags (about 1 1/2 cups water), let it cool for a bit after steeping, and then iced it. I've never made enough for a crowd or a jug or anything.
Artichoke47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #10
kkohne
Reprazents

Generally I use one normal sized herbal teabag for every 8 or 10 ounces of water. If I'm using "regular" tea i like it a bit weaker so I'll use a bit less. Hope that helps!
kkohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #11
Sammie
Reprazents

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkohne
Generally I use one normal sized herbal teabag for every 8 or 10 ounces of water. If I'm using "regular" tea i like it a bit weaker so I'll use a bit less. Hope that helps!

Falafels..............I was just going to write what KKohne did. Generallly, It's one tea bag per 8 ounces. Rememebr, herbal takes a little longer to brew than green or blak tea. If you over brew black or green, it can be bitter. But with herb teas.......the longer you steap.....the more intense the flavor...
Old 05-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
ohbugs
That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalafelsRule
I have always made my tea hot. Yesterday, at a vegan potluck, there were a good 6 organic teas out, all iced. So, iced tea experts, how many tea bags do you use for 64 ounces worth? How much turbinado sugar (I like mine sweet)?

Don't forget to put the sugar in while the water is still hot! Turbinado sugar doesn't dissolve well when the tea is already iced. These things are always learned the hard way.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
herbi
Reprazents

I never liked iced tea, but I was taught how to make it the way the rest of the family likes it, which is VERY strong and VERY sweet (think tea-flavored KoolAid ). Our official white-trash recipe is to take 4 standard Lipton teabags, tie them together and loop the strings around the handle of your smallest sauce-pot, fill it with water, and then boil the **** out of it for at least 5 minutes. You will have very dark very strong very hot tea at that point. Smush the excess water out of the teabags, add a good 1/2 cup (maybe more?) of sugar to the hot water to make a syrup, and then put it in a big ol' 2-quart pitcher with enough ice (which will of course instantly melt but will cool it off significantly) and cold water to fill the pitcher. Refrigerate and drink over even more ice. Voila. It smells great, but I never could drink the stuff. Also, at that strength, it stains everything it comes in contact with-- we had a designated tea pitcher and tea-stirring spoon. Guests have been known to water it down before drinking!

My grandma also makes "sun tea" by putting several tea bags in a big jug of water outside during the summer until it's as dark as she wants it, and then sugars and refrigerates that. I always thought that was kind of cool, but I still never liked the taste.
herbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 04:28 PM   #14
jenzie
up close, far away

I love love love iced tea! And I make some mighty fine tea! I've "converted" three people, formerly of the "I don't like iced tea" camp into full-on iced tea madness. Aw yeah.

I use four tea bags per pitcher, and about two tablespoons of raw sugar.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #15
jenzie
up close, far away

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbi
I never liked iced tea, but I was taught how to make it the way the rest of the family likes it, which is VERY strong and VERY sweet (think tea-flavored KoolAid ). Our official white-trash recipe is to take 4 standard Lipton teabags, tie them together and loop the strings around the handle of your smallest sauce-pot, fill it with water, and then boil the **** out of it for at least 5 minutes. You will have very dark very strong very hot tea at that point. Smush the excess water out of the teabags, add a good 1/2 cup (maybe more?) of sugar to the hot water to make a syrup, and then put it in a big ol' 2-quart pitcher with enough ice (which will of course instantly melt but will cool it off significantly) and cold water to fill the pitcher. Refrigerate and drink over even more ice. Voila. It smells great, but I never could drink the stuff. Also, at that strength, it stains everything it comes in contact with-- we had a designated tea pitcher and tea-stirring spoon. Guests have been known to water it down before drinking!

Hee! This is like my Mom - she adds a whole cup of sugar to every pitcher!