User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-17-2004, 01:58 AM   #1
walrusd1978
goo goo g'joob

Unhappy I hate working in an office

Okay, so my company is hosting a Christmas party for all of it's employees. Yay. I know I should be thankful that my company can afford to do this, and I am, but after today, I'm not so sure I should really care at all. They sent us the menu selections:
Steak & Prawns
Chicken Breast (roasted/herbs)
Pasta Primavera
I'm not surprised, of course. So, I sent them an email asking if the pasta primavera could be 'veganized' somehow, or perhaps I could get a plate of steamed vegetables, etc. I'm already assuming the pasta isn't vegan, and let me know if my assumption is incorrect, because I'm not really sure what Pasta Primavera is. Here is my email to them:

Hi,

I'm about to give you the most annoying challenge yet. So here goes. I follow a Vegan lifestyle. The only option on the menu that's even remotely close to something I can eat is the pasta primavera. But there is a catch. I need to find out if the noodles have eggs in them (most noodles do) and I need to find out what is in the sauce. Usually that sort of sauce is made with cream of some sort, and I won't eat cream. Basically, the meal can't have any eggs, egg whites, egg albumin, or dairy or meat (or bugs) in it. And with dairy, that includes cream, cheese, cream cheese, butter, buttermilk, and whatever else is made with milk. I know it's a major pain in the butt, but I'm asking for your assistance. If it turns out that the meal has a lot of things in it, I either won't eat at the party (which sucks) or I just won't go (which sucks more.) OH, and under the meat category that includes beef and chicken, as well as fish (crab, sushi, shellfish, lobster, anything that comes from the ocean basically), veal, sheep, goat (goat's milk), lamb, pork (bacon, ham, etc), etc. etc. The best thing you could do for me, and what might make things easier for you and the food preparers is to just give me a list of the list of ingredients on everything and I can say "yay or nay."

Okay, now that I've given you a heart attack and a reason to quit, let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Perhaps they can make a special plate with a different pasta sauce (assuming the noodles are not made with any egg) on it, or some steamed vegetables (without butter) etc. etc. OH, and the person I will be bringing with me is also Vegan, so that would need to be two plates of whatever they come up with instead of just one plate.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Okay, now that I read my email again, I know what it sounds like. It sounds like I am 'expecting' them to do all this **** for me, to make a special deal about it because I'm vegan, blah blah. Well that's not what I was going for at all. I was trying to be funny (even though I'm not funny at all) and informative at the same time. I wrote the email in a hurry, didn't proof read it, and sent it on it's way. Bad idea, I know that now.

Here is my problem. This is the response I received, and not from the person I sent my email to. On top of that, the following response (along with my original email) was CC'd to the CEO:

You can assume that this events meals will not fit your requirements therefore you have three options: Bring your own, don't eat, or do not attend.

I took this email as rude and inconsiderate. I think that I gave them plenty (maybe too much) information, and some options as well, and even said that I could simply sit out the meal or whatever, even though that would really suck to sit there and watch everyone eat.

With all the trouble I've had at this place so far (minus the cake thing yesterday), I'm tempted to not go to the party even though I've been looking forward to it for a few months now.

So I'm not sure what I should do, if anything, and I'm hoping you guys can offer some words of wisdom.
walrusd1978 is offline   Reply With Quote