Vegan Represent Forums Calendar Web Links Photo Gallery

Go Back   Vegan Represent > Vegan Represent > Health and Body
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
bluedawg
reprazents

all righty, i've searched and this seems to be the place where lip balm queries and discussion belongs.

i am newly-vegan and am using up some of my non-vegan stuff as i find alternatives. one of my absolute *loves* is blistex lip medex. i guess you could say that i really, really enjoy my lip balm. i spent many years deciding on the perfect one, and even though i loved experimenting, i realized that i kept going back to lip medex, and i finally stopped looking. i have one in my nightstand, one in my purse, one in my travel kit, and one in my desk. i have always said that blistex lip medex would be my luxury item if i ever competed on survivor. i love it so much that my sister and my husband have given it a pet name. they call it my "lippy."

okay, so i learned what lanolin is a few weeks ago, and now i'm kind of beside myself. blistex lip medex has lanolin in it, and i know i should be finding something new. the problem is, i feel that i have already done so much "testing" that i honestly don't know if anything out there will seem "good enough" for me. i am picky. the fact that this is making me panicky is ridiculous, i know, but hey, some people drink or smoke--i use lip medex. humor me.

i noticed that several of you recommended the merry hempsters vegan lip balm... i have a tube of that in the minty scent and while it's okay, it's not really doing it for me. i prefer my lip balm to be pretty thick, but not greasy/oily (if anyone is familiar with the texture of kiehl's, i really hate that). the greasy ones seem to be sitting on my lips rather than soaking into them. icky. conversely, i am not really a fan of the super-waxy-feeling ones like chapstick or burt's bees. ((i know i keep rattling off non-vegan things, but i'm just giving you basic ideas here that i'm hoping most people will at least be familiar with))

i think the reasons i love lip medex so much are as follows: (a) it seems to stay on for a super-long time, (b) it really feels like it is conditioning my lips, and (c) it is shiny. of course, i'm petrified that the secret ingredient that accomplishes all of these things is lanolin, and therefore i am doomed.

today i tried two more vegan lip balms... pussy pucker pots (i got the plain to start out with) and perfumeria gal in red currant. i am really unhappy with the pussy pucker pot--it is nowhere near soft enough for me and it just feels like a fine layer of oil. it's up for grabs if anyone wants it. the perfumeria gal is a *little* better, but it's not as thick as i would like. i don't really consider either of these a good replacement, in any case.

there is one other brand i would like to try, but haven't been able to track down yet: agatha ruiz de la prada. anyone know anything about that?

if anybody has any suggestions for me, i would love to hear them. i don't have a lot of vices, but the lip medex has made me very happy for a long time. please tell me that lanolin is not the magical ingredient, and there is something else out there that is thick, wonderful, and vegan.
bluedawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
grog
iron lion zion

I used to use vasiline something or other, and didn't like merry hempsters at first. But after a week or so I really liked it. However, I don't like the mint one, it just makes my lips cold and feel funny.

You may not realize, but certainly are an example of, the fact that these commericial lip balms are designed to be addictive and most don't actually moisterize you. That's why people end up putting them on 12 times a day and have multiple tubes of them (not even talking about the flavored ones that teen girls suck off their lips ) Same goes for commercial "moisterizing" lotions.

Its odd (just to me ) that you find that "thick" feeling to actually be good. If you want to moisterize, oily should be good no? Just use a little and pucker it in?

It almost sounds like you like a lipstick feeling? Maybe you could look for a good vegan lipstick and try that?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #3
kkohne
Reprazents

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
You may not realize, but certainly are an example of, the fact that these commericial lip balms are designed to be addictive and most don't actually moisterize you.

I can believe it. My husband has a wicked Blistex addiction. Has for the last 4 years. It's to the point that I carry a spare in my purse so that if he loses or forgets his tube he won't start jonesing in public. Crap, I'm an ENABLER!

And I've had a girlfriend with a carmex addiction. Fortunately she realized her issue and quit cold turkey.
kkohne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
grog
iron lion zion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkohne
I can believe it. My husband has a wicked Blistex addiction. Has for the last 4 years. It's to the point that I carry a spare in my purse so that if he loses or forgets his tube he won't start jonesing in public. Crap, I'm an ENABLER!

And I've had a girlfriend with a carmex addiction. Fortunately she realized her issue and quit cold turkey.

Yah, and now completely OT, its like the diet soda addictions people have to the mystery chemicals in them.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
bluedawg
reprazents

grog, i know it's cuckoo to be so into my lip balm, but i figure it's the lesser of a whole lotta evils. i will pick up a different flavor/scent of merry hempsters and see if i like it any better than the peppermint. i've seen tangerine mentioned here and elsewhere--is that one kind of the "favorite"?

also, thanks for the tip on the vaseline lip balms; i used those forever ago so i'll give them a try again. i can't remember what the texture is like.

kkohne, you are a wonderful wife for carrying a spare for your hubby.

anyhow, i am still on the hunt. i am desperate for ideas; nothing seems "creamy" enough. i think that is kind what i mean by "thick." i don't like oily/greasy. one of the reasons i love lip medex so much is that i *don't* feel like i have to reapply constantly. the only thing i currently have that comes somewhat close-ish is aveda lip saver, but alas, that has beeswax. if anyone has any ideas i'm dying to hear them. thank you!!
Old 01-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #6
luna
Grounded

Coffee and Tea Flavored Vegan Lip Balm!

Hi,

Just wanted to let you guys know about Crazy Rumors. We are a natural care company specializing in a fun and fresh approach to all natural products without using synthetic chemicals and animal biproducts.
We carry a full line of (12 flavors) of coffee and tea flavored vegan lip balms in both tins and tubes.

Check out our great flavors, ingredient info and answers to common FAQ's.
http://www.crazyrumors.com

Edie

Last edited by luna : 01-22-2005 at 04:09 PM.
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
bluedawg
reprazents

luna, i'm not sure if you're gone forever, but i'm hoping you'll come back to check on this thread.

i was wondering if you'd peek in at my lip balm woes found here in this thread, and tell me what you can about the feel/consistency/texture of your lip balms. i am particularly interested in the chai flavor (because i think all other tea, and coffee, is icky )... i looooove me some chai.

also, is there a difference in the formula (consistency/texture-wise) for the tins vs. the tubes?

i reeeeaaalllly need a good vegan lip balm. i'm starting to drive myself a little bonkers.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
luna
Grounded

Coffee and Tea Flavored Vegan Lip Balm - for bluedawg

Hey bluedawg,

How's it going? I read through your post and I'll try to explain the best I can.

Here it goes

Our lip balms are soft, smooth and very creamy. It's not oily at all and thicker than most balms out there without being waxy. It does coat your lips but does not last forever. It is more of a lip moisturizer meaning it gradually soaks in and conditions your lips.

We use only high quality ingredients such as Shea Butter and Jojoba Oil which leave your lips feeling amazing.

As for the difference between the tube and tin, they're very similar. There is a slight difference in the wax proportions making the tin a drop softer and the tube a drop firmer.

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 PM   #9
bluedawg
reprazents

thank you, luna! i really appreciate it. i'm so happy you came back!

i'll be ordering some right away. it sounds *wonderful* from the description, so i will keep my fingers crossed and my lips puckered.

thanks again.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:05 PM   #10
ohbugs
That's my story and I'm sticking to it

My compliments to the designers of the website - it's delightful!

I just placed an order and I can't wait to receive my lip balms - I ordered Coffee Bean, Plum Apricot, and Orange Bergamot.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #11
dropscone
is wearing a watch!

Mm, they look pretty good. Do you have any plans to start shipping to the UK?
Tonight We Fly - The Divine Comedy
dropscone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 06:34 PM   #12
jenzie
up close, far away

Looks awesome! I think I'll have to order a couple and check 'em out... I'm a sucker for yummy lip balms.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 PM   #13
grog
iron lion zion

This thread should be an example to the potato milk man on how to pimp your goods effectively
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #14
herbi
Reprazents

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
This thread should be an example to the potato milk man on how to pimp your goods effectively

ROFL!

(Laughing also because the phrase "potato milk man" reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer sneaks backstage at a U2 concert by posing as the "Potato Man". )
herbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #15
bluedawg
reprazents

i received my balm yesterday and i really really like it!! OH JOY!! i think i may have found my vegan lip medex replacement.

i love you, crazy rumors!